- 2 envelopes active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees F)
- 8 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 3 cups shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup minced jalapeno peppers
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco pepper sauce
- 2 cups milk
- 4 large eggs
- In a small bowl stir yeast, sugar, and warm water. Let stand 5 minutes until
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine 8 cups flour, Cheddar cheese, jalapeno pepper,
salt and Tabasco pepper sauce.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, heat the milk until warm (120 to 130 degrees
F). Stir milk into flour mixture.
- In a medium bowl lightly beat eggs. Set aside 1 tablespoon beaten egg to brush
on dough later.
- Add remaining eggs to flour mixture; stir until the mixture makes a soft dough.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic,
kneading in the remaining 3/4 cup flour.
- Shape the dough into a ball and place in a large, greased bowl, turning dough
over to grease the top.
- Cover with a towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Grease two large cookie sheets.
- Punch down dough and divide it in half. Shape each half of dough into a ball
and place the balls on the cookie sheets. Cover with a towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Brush the loaves with the reserved beaten egg.
- Bake loaves about 45 minutes or until loaves sound hollow when lightly tapped.
- Remove to wire racks to cool.