Jam and Cheese Loaf
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (105 to 115 degrees F)
- 2 1/2 cups biscuit baking mix
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup strawberry preserves
- Dissolve yeast in warm water, let stand 5 minutes.
- Add biscuit mix, 1 tablespoon sugar and egg, stir well.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic.
- Place in a well-greased bowl, turning to grease top; cover and chill 8 hours.
- Punch dough down, and turn out onto a lightly greased baking sheet; roll into
a 14 x 9-inch rectangle.
- Combine cream cheese, 1/3 cup sugar and lemon juice; beat at medium speed with
electric mixer until smooth. Spread mixture 2 inches wide lengthwise down center
of dough. Make 3-inch cuts into dough at 1-inch intervals on long sides. Fold and
over-lap strips diagonally over filling in a braided fashion.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place (85 degrees F), free from drafts, for 45 minutes
or until doubled in bulk.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, spoon preserves down center. Return to oven an additional 5
- Remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Yield: one 14-inch loaf