- 1 cup milk, scalded
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 6 cups unbleached flour
- Combine milk, sugar, salt and oil in a large bowl and cool until lukewarm.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water and stir into the milk mixture.
- Add the onion. Beat vigorously for 10 minutes, gradually adding about 4 cups of the flour, until the dough begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl.
- Turn out on a lightly floured surface. Knead for 8 to 10 minutes, until dough
is smooth and elastic, adding flour as necessary to prevent stickiness.
- Lightly oil a large bowl. Place dough in a bowl and turn to coat on all sides.
Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm, draft-free place until doubled in bulk about 45 minutes.
- Grease two loaf pans.
- Punch down the dough. Divide in half, shape into loaves, and place in the pans.
Cover with a tea towel and let rise until doubled in bulk about 20 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.