Shaker Daily Loaf
- 2 packages fast-acting dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- Dissolve the yeast in warm water in a large mixing bowl.
- Warm the milk and melt the 3 tablespoons of butter in it.
- Stir in the sugar and salt and allow to cool to lukewarm.
- Add this to the yeast bowl along with 3 cups of the flour. Beat until smooth
with a mixer.
- Add the remaining flour and knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
- Place the dough on a plastic counter and butter the top of the dough with about
2 tablespoons butter. Cover the dough with a very large stainless steel bowl and
allow to rise until double in bulk.
- Punch down and shape into 2 loaves for large loaf pans.
- Place in loaf pans, then again brush the top of the dough and allow to rise until
double in bulk.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for about 30 minutes.