Soft Baked Pretzels
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 4 cups flour (maybe more)
- 1 beaten egg
- Coarse salt (optional)
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water.
- Add sugar and flour, and mix. Dough should be soft but not sticky. Add a little
more flour if it is too sticky.
- Let dough rise for 30 minutes.
- Cut dough into 12 pieces. Roll pieces of dough into 16-inch ropes.
- To make pretzels, curve ends of each rope to make a circle; cross ends at top.
Twist ends once and lay down over bottom of circle. Spray cookie sheet with baking
- Arrange pretzels on sheet.
- Brush on egg and sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden.