Swedish Limpa Bread
A traditional Christmas bread.
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (105 to 115 degrees F)
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1 1/2 teaspoons aniseed
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 2 1/2 cups medium rye flour
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in mixing bowl. Stir in molasses, sugar, salt, shortening,
aniseed, orange peel and rye flour. Beat until smooth.
- Stir in enough all-purpose flour to make dough easy to handle (dough will be
- Turn dough onto slightly floured surface. Cover; let rest 10 to 15 minutes.
- Knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
- Place in greased bowl; turn greased side up.
- Cover, let rise in warm place until double, about 1 hour. Dough is ready if an
indentation remains when touched.
- Punch down dough; round up and let rise until double, about 40 minutes.
- Grease baking sheet; sprinkle with cornmeal. Punch down dough; divide in half.
Shape each half into a round, slightly flat loaf. Place loaves in opposite corners
of baking sheet. Let rise 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bake until loaves sound hollow when tapped, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Remove from baking sheet; cool on wire racks.