Sweet Grain Bread
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup lukewarm water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup millet or sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup bran flakes
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups whole wheat flour
- Heat milk to boiling; remove from heat and add syrup, butter, molasses and salt.
- Soften yeast in lukewarm water in mixing bowl; let stand until bubbly.
- Add first mixture.
- Beat in all-purpose flour, millet and bran.
- Stir in 1 cup whole wheat flour.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 5
minutes, adding whole wheat flour as needed. Butter a large bowl; place dough in
it, turning to butter top. Cover and let rise until double, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Punch down. Shape into 1 loaf; place in a greased 8 1/2-inch loaf pan. Let rise
until double, about 45 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
Yield: 1 loaf
Posted by tgraddy at Recipe Goldmine 6/5/01 7:03:51 pm.