Try this savory bread toasted in the oven with pepperoni, mozzarella cheese and
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 to 6 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 packages (2 tablespoons) dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon ground fennel
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Heat tomato juice, sauce and butter to 120 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine 3 cups flour with yeast, sugar, salt, basil, oregano, rosemary, and fennel; add warmed tomato mixture and garlic. Mix with dough hook (or by hand) 3 minutes or 300 strokes, scraping bowl frequently.
- Add 3 to 31/2 cups additional flour, until firm enough to handle; turn out onto floured board. Add enough flour that dough is not sticky; knead until smooth and elastic.
- Place dough in a greased bowl; cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down; let rest 15 minutes. Shape into two loaves; place in greased 9-inch bread pans. Cover loosely; let rise until nearly doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 10 minutes; reduce heat to 350 degrees F and bake for 30 minutes longer, until loaves sound hollow when tapped.
- Remove from pans; cool on a rack.
Yield: 2 loaves (24 slices total)