This is a delicious bread that tastes somewhat like pizza. It makes wonderful
grilled cheese sandwiches.
- 2 cups V-8
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Scant 1 teaspoon basil
- Scant 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 package dry yeast
- 7 or more cups flour
- Heat V-8 and butter until butter melts. Add sugar, salt, herbs, ketchup, and
cheese. Cool to lukewarm.
- Add lukewarm tomato mixture to 3 cups flour and yeast. Beat until smooth.
- Gradually add more flour until you have a soft workable dough. Knead 8 to 10
minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Place in greased bowl, let rise until doubled (1 1/2 hours).
- Punch down and divide in half. Let rest 10 minutes, covered.
- Shape into loaves and place in well greased bread pans. Cover and let rise until
doubled again (1 hour).
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 to 35 minutes.