Whole Grain Bread
This is a very filling bread.
- 2 packages dry yeast
- 3 cups lukewarm water, divided
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 cups wheat germ
- 7 cups whole wheat flour, divided
- 1 egg, beaten (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon water (optional)
- Sesame seeds, toasted (optional)
- Dissolve yeast in 1 cup water (warmed to 105 degrees F) to which honey has been
added. Let soak for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Mix oil, molasses and remaining warmed water. Stir in salt and wheat germ.
- Combine yeast and molasses mixtures. Mix in 3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour; then
mix in 3 more cups, blending as well as possible. Turn dough onto board and, using
the remaining 1/2 cup flour, knead dough until it is smooth and springy (about 12
minutes). Put dough into oiled bowl, turning it in order to oil the surface. Cover
with a towel and allow to rise until doubled in bulk (about 1 1/2 hours).
- Punch dough down and let it rest for about 20 minutes.
- Knead dough about 5 minutes more; then divide it into 2 loaves. Place in two
well-oiled loaf pans. If desired, brush tops with beaten egg, to which water has
been added, and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Let rise until loaves are well rounded
and high in pans (about 1 hour).
- Bake in preheated 350 degrees F oven for 1 hour or until bread tests done.
- Remove from pans. Cool on rack.
- To serve, slice thin, and spread with butter.