- 2 packages dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 pint milk
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 2 tablespoons ground cardamom
- 7 cups sifted flour
- 2 cup floured candied fruit
- Dissolve yeast in water. Scald milk to lukewarm.
- Cream together shortening, sugar and salt.
- Add cardamom and eggs.
- Add lukewarm milk to softened yeast.
- Blend 3 cups flour and beat until smooth.
- Add creamed mixture and remaining flour. Mix until smooth and add more flour,
if necessary (about 1 cup) to make a dough that can be handled.
- Add floured fruit. Knead well.
- Let rise until doubled in bulk.
- Turn dough onto floured board. Knead and shape into loaves. Let rise until almost
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 1 hour.
Yield: three loaves