Zesty Zucchini Twist
Garden vegetables combine with wheat and oats for nutritious, moist and delicious bread.
- 2/3 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1/2 cup oatmeal, quick or regular
- 1/2 cup zucchini, grated and drained
- 2 tablespoons green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup red pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Romano cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast*
You can substitute Instant (fast-rising) yeast for Active Dry Yeast. Traditional methods- replace 1:1. Expect your dough to rise faster; always let your dough rise until ‘ripe’. Bread Machines- use 1/2 teaspoon Instant yeast (or 3/4 teaspoon Active Dry yeast) per cup of flour in your recipe.
Bread Machine Method
- Place room temperature ingredients in pan in order listed. Select DOUGH setting. Check dough consistency after 5 minutes of kneading. The dough should be in a soft, tacky ball. If it is dry and stiff, add water, 1/2 to 1 tablespoon at a time. If it is too wet and sticky, add 1 tablespoon of flour at a time.
- When cycle is complete, remove dough from pan. Continue with Shaping, Rising and Baking directions below.
(Or select BASIC cycle for untwisted version.)
- Combine yeast, 1 cup flour, oatmeal, lemon pepper, salt, sugar and cheese.
- Heat oil and buttermilk to 120 degrees -130 degrees F. Add to flour mixture. Beat 3 minutes on medium speed. Add pepper, onion, and zucchini. By hand, stir in enough remaining flour to make firm dough. Knead on floured surface 5 to 7 minutes until smooth and elastic. Place in lightly greased bowl; turn to grease top. Cover; let rise until dough tests ripe.
Shaping, Rising and Baking
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; punch down to remove air bubbles. Divide dough in half; let relax 5 minutes.
- Roll each part into an 8- inch rope. Overlap two ends; twist ropes together. Pinch ends to seal; tuck under. Place in greased 8 x 4- inch loaf pan. Cover; let rise until indentation remains after lightly touching.
- Gently brush risen loaf with 1 teaspoon milk.
- Bake in preheated 375 degrees F oven for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove from pan; cool on rack.
Yield: 1 loaf
This recipe is featured at Thyme In Our Kitchen.
Recipe and photo used with permission from: Red Star Yeast