- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered anise
- 3 eggs
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Scald the milk; cool to lukewarm.
- Add milk to the yeast.
- Add sugar, butter, salt, anise, the unbeaten eggs and enough flour to handle.
Let rise until doubled in bulk.
- Make into 3-inch oblong rolls. Place close together in a buttered pan in
rows 2 inches apart. Let rise again and bake for 20 minutes at 400 degrees F.
- When cold, cut into 1/2-inch slices and brown evenly in the oven.