Caramel Glazed Pecan Cinnamon Rolls
- 2 cups warm milk
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs, beaten (save 1/2 egg with a little milk for basting
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup plus oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 envelopes yeast
- 3 - 6 cups flour (1 cup whole wheat flour can be substituted to make tough more tender)
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup crushed pecans or walnuts
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Bread: Stir the yeast in 1/3 cup of warm water with 1/2 teaspoon sugar for
- Into large mixing bowl or Kitchen Aid mixer place the warm the milk and
add the sugar, vanilla extract, salt and eggs.
- Beat until the sugar is dissolved and add the Yeast and mix well.
- Add 3 cups flour and mix with mixer a few minutes or by hand.
- Add flour until you make a soft ball of dough that doesn’t stick to your
hands. Don’t make it stiff - try to keep it a "soft dough." Sprinkle some flour
under the ball and knead it until smooth. Place it in a large bowl, Rub some
oil on top. Cover with a damp towel and place in a warm spot until double.
- After the initial rise, punch dough down and knead the dough again. Divide
the dough into 2 pieces. Place 1 piece of dough onto a lightly floured pastry
cloth and roll into a rectangle 1/4-inch thick.
- Lightly brush baking pan with oil or Crisco.
- Glaze: Melt butter in microwave. Add brown sugar and nuts and mix well.
Pour mixture into bottom of prepared baking dish.
- Filling: Melt butter in microwave. Mix cinnamon in sugar. Brush dough with
butter and sprinkle with cinnamon/sugar mixture.
- On the long side of the rectangle gently roll dough forming a log. Cut log
into 1-inch slices and place each slice, cut side down about 1 inch apart in
- Cover baking pan and let rolls rise until doubled.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 25 minutes or until tops are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and invert pan on cooling rack.