Cinnamon-Swirl Pumpkin Rolls
These cinnamon-roll lookalikes are made with a golden, pumpkin-scented dough
and lots of spice.
- 1 cup canned pumpkin or squash
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons to 1/4 cup lukewarm water*
- 1/4 cup soft butter
- 2 1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 3/4 cups King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/4 cup Baker's Special Dry Milk or nonfat dry milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves, optional
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar, light or dark
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 3/4 cup Baker's Cinnamon Filling*
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup minced crystallized ginger, raisins, or dried cranberries, optional
- 1 cup glazing or confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons milk, or enough to make a drizzleable glaze
* Substitute 3/4 cup granulated sugar and 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon for the
Baker's Cinnamon Filling and water, if desired. If you use sugar and cinnamon, DO
NOT ADD THE WATER.
*Adjust the amount of water by the time of year or your climate. For summer,
or in a humid environment, use the lesser amount of water. In winter, or in a dry
climate, use the greater amount. It's always best to start with the lesser amount.
- Mix and knead all of the dough ingredients together by hand, mixer, or
bread machine until you've made a soft, fairly smooth dough.
- Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover the bowl, and allow the
dough to rise for 1 1/2 hours, until it's almost doubled in bulk.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly greased surface. Roll it into a 14" x
22" rectangle; the dough will be thin.
- Mix the cinnamon filling and water. Spread a thin layer over the dough,
leaving one short edge free of filling.
- Sprinkle with crystallized ginger or dried fruit (or both), if desired.
- Starting with the short end that's covered with filling, roll the dough
into a log.
- Cut the log into nine 1 1/2"-thick rolls.
- Place the rolls into a lightly greased 9" x 9" pan that's at least 2" deep.
Set aside, covered, to rise for 1 hour, or until the rolls look puffy.
- Bake the rolls in a preheated 375 degrees F oven for 25 to 30 minutes, until
they're lightly browned and feel set. Remove them from the oven, and set them
on a rack. Turn them out of the pan, and allow them to cool for about 15 minutes.
Towards the end of the cooling time, make the glaze.
- To make the glaze: Heat the butter and milk together till the butter melts.
Whisk into the sugar.
- Drizzle the warm rolls with the warm glaze. Sprinkle with chopped nuts,
Hands-on: 20 to 40 min | Baking: 25 to 30 min | Yield: 9 rolls
For a glaze that stays white and remains on top of the rolls, rather than partially
melting in, allow the rolls to cool completely before glazing.
Recipe and photo credit: King Arthur Flour