Cinnamon-Swirl Pumpkin Rolls
These cinnamon-roll lookalikes are made with a golden, pumpkin-scented dough
and lots of spice.
- 1 cup canned pumpkin or squash
- 2 large eggs
tablespoons to 1/4 cup lukewarm water*
- 1/4 cup soft butter
- 2 1/2 cups King
Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 3/4 cups King Arthur White Whole Wheat
- 1/4 cup Baker's Special Dry Milk or nonfat dry milk
- 1 teaspoon ground
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves, optional
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar, light or dark
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons
- 3/4 cup Baker's Cinnamon Filling*
- 3 tablespoons
- 1/2 cup minced crystallized ginger, raisins, or dried
- 1 cup glazing or confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon
- 1 1/2 tablespoons milk, or enough to make a "drizzlable"
* Substitute 3/4 cup granulated sugar and 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon for the
Baker's Cinnamon Filling and water, if desired. If you use sugar and cinnamon, DO
NOT ADD THE WATER.
*Adjust the amount of water by the time of year or your climate. For summer,
or in a humid environment, use the lesser amount of water. In winter, or in a dry
climate, use the greater amount. It's always best to start with the lesser amount.
- Mix and knead all of the dough ingredients together by hand, mixer, or
bread machine until you've made a soft, fairly smooth dough.
- Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover the bowl, and allow the
dough to rise for 1 1/2 hours, until it's almost doubled in bulk.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly greased surface. Roll it into a 14" x
22" rectangle; the dough will be thin.
- Mix the cinnamon filling and water. Spread a thin layer over the dough,
leaving one short edge free of filling.
- Sprinkle with crystallized ginger or dried fruit (or both), if desired.
- Starting with the short end that's covered with filling, roll the dough
into a log.
- Cut the log into nine 1 1/2"-thick rolls.
- Place the rolls into a lightly greased 9" x 9" pan that's at least 2" deep.
Set aside, covered, to rise for 1 hour, or until the rolls look puffy.
- Bake the rolls in a preheated 375 degrees F oven for 25 to 30 minutes, until
they're lightly browned and feel set. Remove them from the oven, and set them
on a rack. Turn them out of the pan, and allow them to cool for about 15 minutes.
Towards the end of the cooling time, make the glaze.
- To make the glaze: Heat the butter and milk together till the butter melts.
Whisk into the sugar.
- Drizzle the warm rolls with the warm glaze. Sprinkle with chopped nuts,
Hands-on time: 20 mins. to 40 mins.
Baking time: 25 mins. to 30 mins.
time: 3 hrs 25 mins. to 5 hrs 10 mins.
Yield: 9 rolls
For a glaze that stays white and remains on top of the rolls, rather than partially
melting in, allow the rolls to cool completely before glazing.
Reprinted with permission from
King Arthur Flour.