Red Cherry Sticky Buns
- 1 (16 to 17 ounce) can sweet red cherries, drained (reserve juice)
- 3 1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 package RapidRise yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- Cherry Glaze
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1/2 cup reserved cherry juice
- Buns: Drain and halve cherries; reserve juice to use in Cherry Glaze.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together 3 cups of the flour, the sugar, yeast and
- In a small saucepan, heat milk and 1/3 cup butter to 120 degrees F; stir in egg.
Stir into flour mixture to form a ball.
- Turn out on a prepared pastry cloth and
knead, adding only enough of the remaining flour to form a soft dough until smooth
and satiny (5 to 10 minutes). Cover and let rest 1/2 hour.
- With a stockinette-covered rolling pin, roll dough to an 18 x 15-inch rectangle.
Brush with remaining melted butter to within 1/2-inch of edges.
- Arrange cherries over buttered dough. Roll up from 18-inch side; pinch edges
to seal. Cut into 20 slices.
- Pour Cherry Glaze into a 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan; sprinkle with almonds. Place slices
cut side down over Cherry Glaze. Let rise until double in bulk, 30 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degrees F oven until golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- Cool for 5 minutes;
invert on a serving platter. Let stand for 1 minute; remove pan.
- Cherry Glaze: In a small saucepan, heat butter, sugar, lemon rind and cherry
juice. Boil, stirring occasionally, until mixture thickens, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Makes 20 buns.