- 2 cups boiling water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar plus 1 teaspoon
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 2 cakes yeast
- 8 cups sifted all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Mix boiling water, 1/2 cup sugar, salt and shortening together; cool until lukewarm.
- Dissolve yeast in lukewarm water; add 1 teaspoon sugar and stir in 4 cups of
flour; beat well.
- Add remaining flour, one cup at a time, beating well after each
addition. Mix thoroughly to a smooth dough; knead slightly.
- Place in a large greased
bowl; grease top of dough; cover and store in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Remove as much as needed and shape as desired. Let rise in a warm place until
double in bulk.
- Bake at 425 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes.