Seeded Hamburger Buns
Soft buns, topped with crunchy seeds, are a perfect complement to grilled burgers.
- 3/4 cup lukewarm water
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons butter or oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, whole golden flax seeds or Everything Bread and Bagel Topping
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder, optional
- 2 3/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons Everything Bread and Bagel Topping or whole flax seeds
- 1 large egg white, or Quick Shine spray
- Dough: Combine all of the dough ingredients, and mix and knead
them, by hand, mixer, or bread machine, to make a soft dough.
- Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover, and let it rise in a warm
place for an hour, until it's almost doubled in size.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly greased surface, flatten it slightly,
and divide it into 6 pieces, each weighing about 3 1/2 to 4 ounces.
- Roll each piece into a ball.
- Place balls into the greased cups of a hamburger bun pan, flattening gently.
- Cover and let rise until the buns have doubled in size. Towards the end
of the rising time, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bake the buns for 10 minutes.
- Remove them from the oven, brush with lightly beaten egg white (or spray
with Quick Shine) and sprinkle with seed topping; do this quickly, or the seeds
- Return the buns to the oven and bake for 5 to 8 minutes, until they're golden
- Remove from the oven, and cool on a rack.
Hands-on 20 to 40 min | Baking: 15 to 20 min | Yield: 6 large buns
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
King Arthur Flour.