Whole Grain Buns
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 1/2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1 3/4 cups stone ground wheat flour
- 2 to 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- Bran flakes
- Heat milk, honey, molasses, water and
shortening, stirring to melt the shortening.
Cool to 105 degrees F to 110 degrees F and add yeast. Stir to dissolve.
- Add both flours, salt and egg and mix on low
speed of electric mixer until ingredients are well combined.
- Let dough rest in mixing bowl for 30 minutes (or until doubled in bulk).
- Remove and form into rolls or buns. Gently press bran flakes on bun or roll tops.
- Let rise for 30 minutes (or until doubled in size).
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 15 to 20 minutes.
Yield: about 1 dozen rolls or buns
If stone ground wheat flour is unavailable, substitute whole wheat.