Biscuits and Sausage Gravy
- 3 cups self-rising soft wheat flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- Butter or margarine, melted
- Sausage Gravy
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a large bowl; cut in shortening with a pastry
blender until mixture is crumbly.
- Add buttermilk, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead lightly 4 or 5
- Roll dough to 3/4-inch thickness; cut with a 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter.
Place on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 425 degrees F for 12 minutes or until golden.
- Brush tops with butter.
- Split biscuits open; serve with
Yield: 12 to 14 servings