Sausage Gravy for Polenta
- 1 pound Italian hot or sweet sausage
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 1/2 cups canned, peeled Italian plum tomatoes
- Pinch of dried red pepper flakes, basil and mint
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fry sausages with water in large heavy skillet over medium heat until dry. Then,
prick sausages with fork and let them brown in their own juices. When they are brown,
remove with slotted spoon and set aside.
- Drain fat and add olive oil to pan. When oil is warm, brown onion and garlic.
- Increase heat to high and add tomatoes, squeezing first in hands to crush them.
Stir until bubbly.
- Add sausages and seasonings. Simmer for 20 minutes or until sausages are cooked,
- Place sausages around platter of fried polenta slices with plenty of grated Parmesan.
- Pour gravy on top of polenta.
Makes 3 to 4 servings.