- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons Crisco
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon Crisco (for frying pan)
- Mix dry ingredients together.
- Blend in the Crisco until the mixture is coarse and grainy.
- Stir in the buttermilk with a fork. Do not over-mix.
- Put out onto a floured board and knead just a few times. Pat out the dough to about 1/2-inch thick. Cut with a biscuit cutter or glass. Flour the cutter. Do not handle the dough too much or it will get tough.
- Using a heavy cast iron frying pan, place 1 tablespoon of Crisco in the pan and put the frying pan in the oven for about 7 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and place the biscuits in the pan. Turn each once in the oil and bake the biscuits at 500 degrees F for 10 minutes, or until light brown.