Baked Apple French Toast Casserole
- 3 large green apples
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 12 ounces cream cheese
- 12 slices firm bread, any flavor
- 8 eggs
- 1 quart milk
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- Cinnamon to taste
- Set rack in lower third of oven and heat to 350 degrees F. Butter a 13 x 9-inch
- Core and cut the apples into thin wedges, leaving the skin on.
- In a skillet, melt the butter with brown sugar and 1 tablespoon water. Add the
apples and cook stirring for two to three minutes. Transfer to the baking dish and
- Cut the cream cheese into cubes and arrange evenly over the apples. Cut the slices
of bread in half diagonally and layer over the apples to cover the whole dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together eggs, milk and vanilla extract. Pour the
egg mixture over the bread, taking care to dampen all of the bread. Sprinkle with
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until golden and puffed.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Makes 8 servings.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.