Breakfast Mac and Cheese
- 1 pound pasta (I used cavatelli shaped pasta)
- 1 pound breakfast sausage, removed from casings and crumbled
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, discard seeds and dice
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 5 cups (about 20 ounces) Wisconsin Colby Jack
- Cheese, shredded and divided
- 1 cup (about 4 ounces) Wisconsin Pepper Jack Cheese, shredded and divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 eggs
- 6 toasted biscuits, crumbled (homemade or from the refrigerated aisle of the grocery store)
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until
al dente, about 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the sausage until browned.
Remove sausage from the pan, drain the fat off and set sausage aside. In the
same skillet, add the onion, peppers and garlic salt and cook over medium-high
heat until softened. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Remove onion and
pepper mixture from pan and set aside.
- Add butter to the same skillet and stir constantly until melted. Add the
flour and stir constantly over medium heat for 3-4 minutes. Slowly pour in the
milk and whisk continuously until it is smooth and has thickened, about 4-6
minutes. Remove skillet from heat and stir in 4 cups of Colby Jack and 1/2 cup
of Pepper Jack. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the pasta, cooked
sausage, onion/pepper mixture to the cheese mixture and stir until combined.
Pour into a large buttered baking dish.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs. Add in the remaining cheese and crumbled biscuits
and stir until combined. Pour this mixture over the pasta in the baking dish.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.