Breakfast Pocket Sandwiches
- 2 (6-7-inch) round whole-wheat pita breads
- 2 large eggs
- 4 large (about 1/2 cup) egg whites
- 1/3 cup low-fat (2%) cottage cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut pita breads in half crosswise. Stack and wrap in foil, and place in oven
- In a medium bowl, combine eggs, egg whites, cottage cheese and black pepper,
whisking until well combined. Set aside.
- Coat a wide nonstick frying pan with cooking spray. Place over medium/high heat.
When hot add mushrooms, onion, and bell pepper. Cook stirring often until mushrooms
are lightly browned (3 to 4 minutes).
- Reduce heat to low. Pour in egg mixture and cook, gently lifting cooked portions
with a wide spatula to let uncooked eggs flow underneath, until eggs are softly
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese, spoon mixture evenly into warm pita bread
Posted by bettyboop50 at Recipe Goldmine May 7, 2001.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.