Breakfast Pocket Sandwiches
- 2 (6-7-inch) round whole-wheat pita breads
- 2 large eggs
- 4 large (about
1/2 cup) egg whites
- 1/3 cup low-fat (2%) cottage cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon black
- 1 cup mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut pita breads in half crosswise. Stack and wrap in foil, and place in oven
- In a medium bowl, combine eggs, egg whites, cottage cheese and black pepper,
whisking until well combined. Set aside.
- Coat a wide nonstick frying pan with cooking spray. Place over medium/high heat.
When hot add mushrooms, onion, and bell pepper. Cook stirring often until mushrooms
are lightly browned (3 to 4 minutes).
- Reduce heat to low. Pour in egg mixture and cook, gently lifting cooked portions
with a wide spatula to let uncooked eggs flow underneath, until eggs are softly
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese, spoon mixture evenly into warm pita bread
Posted by bettyboop50 at Recipe Goldmine May 7, 2001.