Breakfast Strata Primavera
This stunning dish is like a savory bread pudding studded with colorful, spring
vegetables and full of rich flavor. By using canola oil and a mix of whole eggs
and egg whites, you get the sumptuous flavor of most breakfast bakes without the
saturated fat and cholesterol. This dish makes entertaining a breeze since you prepare
it the night before. In the morning, just pop it in the oven, then relax and enjoy
- 1 tablespoon canola oil 15 mL
- 1 large onion, diced (about 2 cups/500 mL)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 bunch asparagus (about 1/2 pound/250 g),
trimmed and sliced into 1-inch (2.5-cm) pieces
- 1 cup green peas, fresh or frozen
- Canola oil cooking spray
- 1 whole-wheat baguette or other crusty bread
(8 ounces/500 g), cut into 1-inch (2.5-cm) (about 8 cups/2
- 6 large eggs
- 10 large egg whites
- 2 cups nonfat milk 500 mL
- 1 tablespoon
Dijon mustard 15 mL
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese,
lightly packed 6o mL
- 2 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
(1/2 cup/125 mL) 60 g
- 1 large carrot, shredded (1 cup/250 mL)
- 1/4 cup sundried
tomatoes, thinly sliced 60 mL
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon leaves or
1 teaspoon/5 mL dried tarragon 15 mL
- 1/2 teaspoon salt 5 mL
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly
ground black pepper 5 mL
- In large nonstick skillet, heat canola oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and continue to cook for 1 minute more.
- Add asparagus and cook, stirring occasionally, until just beginning to soften,
about 1 minute.
- Stir in peas, remove from heat and set aside.
- Coat 9 x 13-inch (23 x 33-cm) baking dish with canola oil cooking spray.
- Arrange bread cubes over bottom.
- In large bowl, beat whole eggs, egg whites, milk and mustard together until blended.
- Add vegetable mixture, both cheeses, carrot, sun-dried tomatoes, tarragon, salt
and pepper, stirring to incorporate.
- Pour mixture over bread, making sure liquid saturates bread.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or at least 8 hours.
- Remove strata from refrigerator, uncover and allow to sit at room temperature
while you preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). (Do not keep at room temperature
for more than 20 minutes.)
- Bake until set and top forms golden brown crust, 70-80 minutes.
Yield: 8 servings
Serving size: 1 1/2 cups (375 mL)
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving Calories 230 Total Fat 8 g Saturated Fat
2.5 g Cholesterol 165 mg Carbohydrates 23 g Fiber 3 g Protein 18 g Sodium 650 mg
Source: Ellie Krieger
Reprinted with permission from