Country Grits and Sausage Casserole
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking grits, uncooked
- 3 1/2 cups shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten (garnish)
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dried whole thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 pounds mild bulk pork sausage, cooked, crumbled and drained
- Tomato wedges (for garnish)
- Fresh parsley sprigs (for garnish)
- Bring water to boil; stir in grits. Return to boil; reduce heat to low, and cook
4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cheese, stirring until melted.
- Combine eggs, milk, thyme and garlic powder; stir well.
- Gradually stir about
one-fourth of hot grits mixture into egg mixture; add to remaining hot mixture,
- Stir in sausage.
- Pour into a lightly greased 11 x 7-inch baking dish.
- At this point, you can refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 50 minutes or until set.
- Garnish, if desired.
Yields 6 to 8 servings.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.