French Toast Strata
- 1 pound bulk country sausage
- 2 apples, cored, pared, thinly sliced
- 10 eggs
- 4 cups milk
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 loaf Italian bread, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- Additional maple syrup
- In large skillet, cook sausage. Remove from skillet, drain and crumble.
- Add apple
slices to skillet; cook, covered, over medium heat, about 3 minutes.
- In medium bowl, beat eggs; add milk, 1/3 cup maple syrup and nutmeg. Mix well.
- In buttered 10-inch pie plate, arrange 3/4 of the bread slices.
- Top with sausage, apples and remaining bread slices.
- Pour milk mixture evenly over the top.
- Cover; refrigerate overnight.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 55-60 minutes or until set and golden.
- Serve immediately with additional maple syrup.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
Yield: 12 servings