Hominy and Grits Casserole with Cheddar Cheese
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup grits
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound raw, bulk breakfast sausage
- 2 (16 ounce) cans hominy, rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bring the water to a boil and add the grits and salt; reduce heat to low and
cook 15-20 minutes until water is absorbed and grits are tender.
- In a skillet brown the sausage, breaking up with a potato masher to crumble.
Cook until done, then add the hominy. Stir and cook until hominy is hot. Drain off
- Mix in the cooked grits, thyme and cayenne.
- Pour mixture in a 9 x 13-inch casserole and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
Nutrition values per serving: 241 calories, 12 g fat, 23 g carbohydrates,
2 g fiber, 10 g protein, 31 mg cholesterol, 828 mg sodium