Mexican Breakfast Casserole
Try a new twist on the all-time favorite egg bake; this dish adds some fabulous
Mexican flavor, and is sure to be a hit at your next gathering.
- 1 (20 ounce) bag refrigerated cooked shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1 (1 ounce) package Old El Paso™ taco seasoning mix
- 1 pound bulk turkey or pork breakfast sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 12 eggs
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups (from 16-ounce jar) Old El Paso™ Thick 'n Chunky medium salsa
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 13 x 9 x 2-inch (3-quart) baking dish with cooking
- Place hash brown potatoes and 1 tablespoon of the taco seasoning mix in large
bowl; toss to coat potatoes evenly. Pat into baking dish.
- Spray 10-inch skillet with cooking spray. Cook breakfast sausage and onion over
medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly cooked;
- Meanwhile, beat eggs, cheese, milk, salt, pepper and remaining taco seasoning
mix in same bowl with whisk until well mixed.
- Stir in sausage mixture and salsa. Carefully pour over hash browns in baking
- Bake uncovered about 40 minutes or until eggs are set in center.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- Top servings with dollops of sour cream and more salsa, if you like.
20 min prep time | 12 servings
Nutrition Facts Serving Size: 1 Serving Calories 280 Calories from Fat 140
Total Fat 16g 24% Saturated Fat 7g 33% Trans Fat 0g 0% Cholesterol 240mg 81% Sodium
980mg 41% Total Carbohydrate 15g 5% Dietary Fiber 1g 4% Sugars 1g 1% Protein 21g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 15% Vitamin C 2% Calcium 15% Iron 10%
Exchanges:1/2 Starch; 0 Fruit; 0 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Skim Milk; 1/2 Low-Fat
Milk; 0 Milk; 0 Vegetable; 0 Very Lean Meat; 2 Lean Meat; 0 High-Fat Meat; 1 1/2
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo credit: Pillsbury