- 1 1/2 pounds bulk sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sage
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- Break sausage into small chunks in a skillet. Add water and onion and simmer 20 minutes or
until confident sausage is thoroughly cooked.
- Strain out meat. Save stock and enough water to make 1 quart.
- Add salt and sage to stock, and heat to boiling.
- Slowly sprinkle in cornmeal, stirring constantly,
and cook until thick. Cook over low heat 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add crumbled sausage and pour into loaf pan which has been rinsed with cold water.
- Cover and chill overnight.
- Slice 1/4 inch thick and fry in hot fat until golden brown.
- Serve with maple or corn syrup.