Southwest Brunch Casserole
This hearty brunch casserole with Southwestern flavors will please both vegetarians
and non-vegetarian guests.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 loaf (8 ounces) Italian bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (5 cups)
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 5 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Oregano, Ground
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Cumin, Ground
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat oil in large skillet on medium heat.
Add onion and bell pepper; cook and stir 3 minutes or until softened.
- Spread 1/2 of the bread cubes in 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Layer with 1/2 each of the onion mixture, beans, Cheddar cheese and Monterey
- Spread evenly with cottage cheese.
- Top with remaining bread cubes, onion mixture, beans, Cheddar cheese and
Monterey Jack cheese.
- Beat eggs in medium bowl until foamy.
- Add milk, chili powder, oregano, cumin and salt; beat until well blended.
Pour evenly over top.
- Press bread cubes lightly into egg mixture until completely covered.
- Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until center is set and top is golden brown.
Prep Time: 25 min | Cook Time: 50 min | Serves: 12
Nutritional information (amount per servings) Total Calories: 279 Sodium:
580mg Fat: 15g Carbohydrates: 21g Cholesterol: 108mg Protein: 15g Fiber: 3g
Recipe and photo credit: McCormick