Waffle Breakfast Casserole
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 6 frozen waffles, toasted and cubed
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Frozen waffles, toasted (optional)
- Maple-flavored syrup or pure maple syrup (optional)
- In a large skillet cook sausage until brown. Drain off fat.
- Arrange 3 of the waffles in a 2-quart rectangular baking dish.
- Top with half of the sausage and about 1/3 cup of the cheese.
- Repeat layers.
- In a large bowl beat eggs with a fork; stir in milk, mustard and pepper. Pour
over layers in dish.
- Cover and chill for at least 4 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Heat oven to 350 degree F.
- Uncover and bake in preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes
or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 1/3 cup cheese.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- If desired, serve on toasted waffles and drizzle with maple syrup.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional facts per serving: calories: 413, total fat: 28g, saturated fat:
12g, cholesterol: 217mg, sodium: 668mg, carbohydrate: 15g, fiber: 1g, protein: 19g