Banana Bread Oatmeal
- 3 cups fat-free milk
- 3 tablespoons firmly packed
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups quick or old-fashioned oats, uncooked
- 2 medium-size
ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped toasted
- Vanilla nonfat yogurt (optional)
- Banana slices (optional)
- Raspberry nonfat yogurt and dried cranberries
- Maple-flavor pancake syrup and chopped pecans
- Pumpkin or apple butter and raisins
- Blueberries and sliced strawberries sprinkled with cinnamon-sugar
- Warm apple pie filling and skim milk
- Coarsely chopped canned peaches and ground
- Sliced bananas and mini chocolate chips
- In medium saucepan, bring milk, brown sugar, spices and salt to a gentle
boil (watch carefully); stir in oats. Return to a boil; reduce heat to medium.
Cook for 1 minute for quick oats, 5 minutes for old-fashioned oats, or until most
of liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally.
- Remove oatmeal from heat.
- Stir in mashed bananas and pecans.
- Spoon oatmeal
into four cereal bowls.
- Top with yogurt, sliced bananas and pecan halves, if
Makes 4 servings.
* To toast pecans, spread evenly in shallow baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees F
for 5 to 7 minutes or until light golden brown. Or, spread nuts evenly on microwave-safe
plate. Microwave on HIGH 1 minute; stir. Continue to microwave, checking every 30
seconds, until nuts are fragrant and brown.
Nutrition facts per serving: 340 calories, 50 calories from fat, 6 g total
fat, 1 g saturated fat, less than 5 mg cholesterol, 100 mg sodium, 60 g total carbohydrates,
6 g dietary fiber, 14 g protein, 268 mg calcium