Breakfast on the Go Cookies
- 1 cup brown sugar 250 mL
- 1/4 cup 7-grain hot cereal 60 mL
- 1 cup rolled
oats 250 mL
- 1 cup all-purpose flour 250 mL
- 1 cup whole wheat flour 250 mL
- 1/2 tablespoon baking soda 7 mL
- 1/2 teaspoons baking powder 2 mL
teaspoon salt 2 mL
- 1 teaspoon allspice 5 mL
- 1/4 cup canola oil 60 mL
- 1/4 cup applesauce 60 mL
- 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 5 mL
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds 60 mL
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds 60 mL
- 1/3 cup
chopped dried cherries 75 mL
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Line cookie sheets
with parchment paper.
- In large bowl, stir together sugar, cereal, rolled oats, flours,
baking soda, baking powder, salt and allspice.
- Make well in center and pour in canola oil, applesauce, egg whites
and vanilla. Mix until well blended. Stir in sunflower seeds, almonds
and cherries. Roll cookies into golf ball-size balls. Place cookies 2
inches (5 cm) apart onto prepared cookie sheets and flatten to 1/2-inch
(1.3-cm) thickness with wet hands.
- In preheated oven, bake for 8 minutes for chewy cookies.
- Remove from cookie sheets to cool on wire racks.
Yield: 24 cookies
Serving size: 1 cookie
These cookies store well in the freezer.
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving: Calories160 Total Fat 4 g Saturated Fat
0 g Cholesterol 0 mg Carbohydrates 23 g Fiber 2 g Sugars 11 g Protein 8 g Sodium
170 mg Potassium 146 mg
Reprinted with permission from