Country Breakfast Cereal
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1/4 teaspoon
- 1/2 cup seedless raisins or dried cranberries
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 1/4 cups water (see note)
- Milk or cream (optional)
- Honey or brown sugar
- Fresh fruit or toasted nuts (optional)
- Combine rice, butter, salt, raisins and cinnamon with water in 2- to 3-quart
saucepan. Bring to a boil; stir. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 40 to 50 minutes,
or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Fluff with fork.
- Serve with milk or cream, honey or brown sugar, and fresh fruit or nuts,
Makes 6 servings.
For moister rice, add 1/4 cup water.
Per serving: 168 calories, 3 grams protein, 3 grams fat, 34 grams carbohydrate,
2 grams dietary fiber, 5 milligrams cholesterol and 114 milligrams sodium