Crumb-Topped Georgia Pecan and Cherry Cereal Bars
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick cooking oats
- 1 cup puffed rice cereal
(preferably brown rice)
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter,
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon
- 1 (10-ounce) jar cherry fruit spread
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9-inch-square baking pan.
- In a medium-size bowl, combine the flour, oats, puffed rice, pecans, cinnamon,
baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, oil, sugar, and vanilla extract until blended
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until moistened and a crumbly dough forms. Reserve
1 1/2 cups of the dough for the topping. Press remaining dough evenly into bottom
- Spread cherry fruit spread evenly over dough in pan. Sprinkle the reserved dough
mixture over top leaving some random spaces where the fruit is uncovered. Gently
press down to adhere topping to fruit layer.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until deep
- When cooled to warm, slice into twelve 3- x 2-inch bars.
Yield: (12) 3- x 2-inch bars
Nutrition information per bar: protein 3g; carbohydrates: 22g; saturated
fat: 3g; monounsaturated fat: 6g; polyunsaturated fat: 2g; cholesterol 10mg; sodium:
132 mg; fiber: 2g; calories: 216
Reprinted with permission from
the George Pecan Commission.