Quinoa Breakfast Bowls
Start a new day with a hot bowl of sweet nuttiness. Quickly toasting sunflower
seeds and quinoa in canola oil first helps their nutty flavors come through.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided 15 mL
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds 60 mL
1/4 cups dry quinoa 310 mL
- 2 1/2 cups water 625 mL
- 1 tablespoon golden raisins,
cut in half 15 mL
- 1/4 teaspoon salt 1 mL
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract 2 mL
- 1 tablespoon honey 15 mL
- In medium skillet, heat 1 teaspoon (5 mL) canola oil over medium high heat and
add sunflower seeds. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until seeds begin to lightly brown,
then set aside on separate plate.
- In saucepan, add 2 teaspoons (5 mL) canola oil, then quinoa and cook for 3 minutes
or until quinoa begins to lightly brown.
- Slowly add water, raisins and salt. Bring
to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low, covering and cooking for 15 minutes or
until water has absorbed.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
- Spoon quinoa into four cereal bowls, drizzling evenly with honey, and sprinkle
with toasted sunflower seeds.
Yield: 4 servings (about 3 cups/750 mL)
Serving size 3/4 cup (175 mL)
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving: Calories 310 Total Fat 10 g Saturated Fat 0.5
g Cholesterol 0 mg Carbohydrates 42 g Fiber 15 g Sugars 7 g Protein 11 g Sodium
160 mg Potassium 332 mg
Reprinted with permission from