- 1/2 package dry yeast
- 1 cup warm milk (105 to 110 degrees F), divided
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 60 pecan halves
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 (7 ounce) package almond paste
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups ground pecans
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- Alligator Filling: Blend together sugar, almond paste, butter and honey to form
smooth paste. Fold in flour, then pecans.
- Maple Icing: Heat maple syrup and butter in small saucepan until butter melts.
Add sugar, blending until smooth.
- Dough: Mix yeast with about 1/2 cup warm milk. Add sugar, salt, 3 tablespoons
melted butter, remaining 1/2 cup warm milk and flour. Mix well. Knead to make smooth
dough 6 to 8 minutes. Let dough rest 30 minutes.
- Roll out on floured board into large rectangle. Spread top with 1/4 cup softened
butter. Fold dough into thirds. Repeat 3 more times, using 1/4 cup butter each time,
and allowing dough to rest 30 minutes before filling.
- Divide dough into 2 equal portions. Using 1 portion at time, roll dough as thinly
as possible into 18 x 12-inch rectangle. Spread 1/2 Alligator Filling on entire
surface of dough, then fold lengthwise in thirds. Place on lightly greased baking
sheet and brush with beaten egg. Decorate top with about 30 to 40 pecan halves.
Let rest for 15 minutes.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 20 to 30 minutes or until golden
- While still hot, drizzle top with half of Maple Icing. Repeat with second portion
Yield: 2 alligators
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.