Almond Twist Coffee Cake
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond
- 2 (16 ounce) loaves frozen bread, thawed
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 1/2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a small saucepan; cook over medium heat until
butter melts. Remove from heat, and let cool.
- Cut each bread loaf crosswise into 4 pieces; roll each piece to an 18-inch strip
on a lightly floured surface. While twisting dough several times, coil 1 strip in
center of a lightly greased 12-inch pizza pan. Attach second strip to end of first;
twist and coil.
- Repeat procedure with remaining dough. Spoon butter mixture over
- Let rise in a warm place (85 degrees F) free from drafts for 30 minutes or
until dough is doubled in bulk.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes; sprinkle with almonds. Shield roll with
aluminum foil to prevent overbrowning, and bake an additional 15 minutes.
- Let coffee cake cool for 10 minutes.
- Combine confectioners' sugar, milk and almond extract; stir until smooth.
Drizzle glaze over coffee cake.
Makes one 12-inch coffee cake.