Apple Pie Coffee Cake
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice or nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups peeled, cored, and thinly sliced firm tart apples (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon turbinado (raw) sugar, for sprinkling on top
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F (350 degrees if using a Pyrex or dark-finish pie
plate). Grease a 10-inch pie plate.
- In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, oil, vanilla extract and sugar, beating with
a wooden spoon until thick, about 1 minute.
- Add the flour, baking powder, cinnamon,
allspice, nutmeg, and salt. Beat vigorously until the batter has a crumbly consistency, about 1 minute.
- Fold in the apples and mix until the apples are evenly coated and
the batter becomes moist and smooth. The batter will be fairly stiff.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth into an even layer with a
- Sprinkle the top evenly with the sugar.
- Bake on the center rack of
the oven 30 to 35 minutes, until the center is firm when gently pressed. A cake
tester inserted into the center should come out clean, the top and bottom of the
cake should be deep brown, and the apples should be tender when pierced with a knife.
- Remove from the oven and cool at least 1 hour in the pan on a folded tea towel.
- Serve warm or room temperature, cut in wedges from the pie.