Apricot and Almond Lattice Coffee Cake
Spiced apricot filling makes this sweet bread extra delicious.
- 1/4 cup warm water (100 degrees to 110F)
- 1 envelope Fleischmann's® Active Dry Yeast
- 3 to 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons butter OR margarine, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 cup diced, dried apricots
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 cups water, divided
- 2 tablespoons Argo® Corn Starch
- 1/2 teaspoon Spice Islands® Ground Saigon Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Spice Islands® Ground Nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup toasted, chopped almonds
- Coffee Cake: Combine water and yeast in a small bowl; let rest 5 minutes.
- Combine 1 cup flour, sugar and salt in a large mixer bowl.
- Add yeast mixture, sour cream, butter and egg. Beat on low speed to blend;
beat on medium speed 2 to 3 minutes. Add additional flour as needed to make
a soft dough.
- Turn dough out on lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic,
about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Place in greased bowl, turning to coat.
- Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Apricot Filling: Make while dough is rising.
- Combine apricots, sugar and 2 cups water in a medium saucepan over medium-high
heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and continue to cook for 10 minutes.
- Combine remaining 1 cup water, corn starch, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Add to apricot mixture and bring to a boil, continue to boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and let cool until dough has risen.
- Punch down dough; divide into three parts. Roll 1 portion of dough into
a 9-inch circle on a lightly floured counter.
- Place in a greased 9-inch cake pan, pressing to fit.
- Repeat with second portion of dough.
- Top each coffee cake with half of the apricot filling and spread to within
1/2-inch of the edge of the dough.
- Sprinkle with almonds.
- Roll remaining portion of dough into a 12 x 8-inch rectangle.
- Cut into twelve 1-inch strips.
- Place six strips on each coffeecake lattice style.
- Cover and let rise for 20 minutes.
- Bake in 350 degrees F preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, covering with
foil for the last 15 minutes.
Yield 2 coffee cakes | Prep Time 40 minutes
Rise Time 1 hour and 20 minutes
| Bake Time 30 to 35 minutes
Reprinted with permission from