Banana Coffee Cake with
Chocolate Chip Streusel
Yield: 12 servings
- 1 1/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips (about 8 ounces)
- 2/3 cup packed golden brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/3 cups mashed very ripe bananas (about 3 large)
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour an 8-inch square baking pan.
- Stir chocolate chips, brown sugar, walnuts and cinnamon in small bowl until well blended; set streusel aside.
- Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt into medium bowl.
- Using electric mixer, beat sugar, room temperature butter and egg in large bowl until fluffy.
- Beat in mashed bananas and buttermilk.
- Add dry ingredients and blend well.
- Spread half of batter (about 2 cups) in prepared baking pan.
- Sprinkle with half of streusel.
- Repeat with remaining batter and streusel.
- Bake coffee cake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
- Cool coffee cake in pan on rack.
Use bananas with some black spots on the skin, a sign that they are really ripe.
Source: Bon Appetit - January 2003