Bananas Foster Upside-Down Coffee Cake
- 1/2 cup butter, softened and divided
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 2 medium-size ripe bananas
- 7 maraschino cherries
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose baking mix
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over low heat; stir in rum.
Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over butter mixture. Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle pecans evenly over brown sugar mixture.
- Cut bananas in half crosswise; cut each half lengthwise into 3 slices. Arrange
banana slices in a spoke pattern over pecans.
- Cut 6 cherries in half. Place 1 cherry half between each banana slice. Place
remaining whole cherry in center of skillet.
- Beat remaining 1/4 cup butter and 1/2 cup granulated sugar in a large bowl at
medium speed with an electric mixer until blended.
- Add egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition.
- Add milk, sour cream and vanilla extract, beating just until blended.
- Combine baking mix and cinnamon. Add cinnamon mixture to milk mixture, beating
just until blended.
- Beat egg whites in a large bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
- Gradually beat in remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar until stiff peaks form. Fold
into batter. Spread batter evenly over bananas in skillet.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 to 50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in
center comes out clean.
- Cool in skillet on wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Invert cake onto a serving plate.
- Serve warm with whipped cream, if desired.
Source: Southern Living - September 2006
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.