Batterway Cinnamon-Crunch Coffeecake
A slightly sweet no knead coffee cake studded with a cinnamon-crunch topping.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1/2 cup soft shortening
- 1 cup water
- 4 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast*
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Have water at 110 - 115 degrees F and all other ingredients at room temperature.
- Measure the first 4 ingredients into a bowl; blend. Set aside.
- Pour the water into a mixing bowl; add the yeast. Let stand for 3 to 5 minutes; stir.
- Add the eggs, vanilla extract and 1/2 the flour-mixture. Beat for 2 minutes with electric
mixer on medium speed, or by hand until smooth. STOP MIXER.
- Add the remaining ingredients and beat again with a spoon until smooth - 1 to 1 1/2 minutes.
Scrape down batter from sides of bowl.
- Cover. Let rise in warm place until doubled - about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare Topping, and grease one 9 x 13 x 2-inch pan, OR two 8-
or 9-inch square pans.
- Cinnamon-Crunch Topping: Mix 1/2 cup crushed (1 1/2 cups uncrushed) wheat,
corn or rice cereal flakes, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, and 3 tablespoons
melted butter or margarine.
- Beat down raised batter in about 25 strokes. This is a thick, somewhat sticky
batter; spread evenly in the pans. Add topping, and press down almost to bottom
of the pan. Tap pans on table to settle the batter.
- Let rise until doubled - about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until well browned, in preheated 375 degrees F
- Remove from pans and cool on racks.
Makes 1 large or 2 smaller coffeecakes.
* You can substitute Instant (fast-rising) Yeast in place of Active Dry Yeast
in batter/no knead recipes. When using Instant Yeast, expect your batter/dough to
rise about 50% faster. Adjust your rise times accordingly. Traditional methods:
use equal amounts; Bread Machine: use 1/2 teaspoon Instant Yeast OR 3/4 teaspoon
Active Dry Yeast per cup of flour in your recipe.
Recipe featured at Eat Your Heart Out.
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Red Star Yeast
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.