Breakfast and Brunch Recipes
Bee Cake (Coffeecake)
Yield: 1 coffeecake
- 1 1/4 to 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- Coconut Topping
- Vanilla Creme Filling
- 2/3 cup flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
- 1 tablespoon toasted slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- In a large bowl, mix together well 1/2 cup of the flour, sugar, salt, lemon peel and yeast. Set aside.
- In a saucepan over low heat, combine the milk, water and butter until very warm (120 to 130 degrees). (The margarine does not need to melt). Gradually add the heated mixture to the dry ingredients and beat 2 minutes at medium speed with mixer. Be sure to keep the bowl scraped often.
- Add egg and 1/2 cup flour and beat on high speed for 2 minutes, scraping the bowl occasionally.
- Stir in enough additional flour to make a soft dough. Cover the dough in the bowl with a clean towel and let rise in a warm place, free from draft, until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, make the coconut filling (recipe follows).
- Stir the batter down and spread the batter in a greased 8-inch square pan. Cover with a clean towel and
let rise in a warm place, free from draft, until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Very gently spread the cooled coconut topping mixture over the batter.
- Bake in preheated 350 degrees F oven for about 30 minutes.
- Remove from pan to cool on wire rack.
- When cool, split the cake horizontally in half. Spread the Vanilla Creme Filling over bottom half and replace the top half.
- Serve at once, or refrigerate until serving time.
- Cut into squares to serve.
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook until butter and sugar melt. Then bring it to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 minute. Cool.
Vanilla Creme Filling
- Follow package directions to prepare 1 (3 ounce) box instant vanilla pudding and pie filling mix, using 1 1/4 cups milk and 1/2 cup sour cream.