Blueberry 'n' Cheese Coffee Cake
Yield: 8 servings
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups fresh blueberries*
- 8 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 2 teaspoons lemon rind, grated, divided
* Two cups frozen, thawed, drained blueberries can be substituted for fresh blueberries.
- Cream together 1 1/4 cups sugar and 1/2 cup butter until light and fluffy; add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Combine 2 cups flour, baking powder and salt. Add to creamed mixture alternately with milk and water.
- Toss blueberries in 1/4 cup flour; fold into batter with cream cheese and 1 teaspoon lemon rind. Pour into greased and floured 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- Combine remaining sugar, flour and rind; cut in remaining butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake in preheated 375 degrees F oven for 1 hour.