Granny Smith Coffeecake
- 8 ounces softened cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 4 cups Granny Smith apples, pared, cored and sliced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Combine cream cheese, 1 cup sugar, butter, eggs and almond extract; mix well.
- Combine the 1 3/4 cups flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; blend into
cheese mixture alternately with milk. Pour into greased and floured 9 x 13 x 2-inch
- Dip apples into lemon juice; toss with 2 tablespoons flour, 1/2 cup sugar and
- Arrange apple slices on coffeecake.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 50 to 60
minutes or until a wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Cool slightly;
Makes 12 to 14 servings.