Old Los Angeles High School Coffeecake (1959)
By: Rose Dosti, L.A. Times, Culinary SOS, in response to, "If I were dying,
I would want the coffeecake served in the junior and senior high schools in Los
Angeles as my last meal. Do you, by chance, have the recipe?" Rose responded, "Our
sentiments exactly. Here's the recipe as provided by the Los Angeles Unified
School District archives. As a matter of record, the sour cream coffee cake has
been served in city school cafeteria's since 1959."
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup butter
- Mix together flour, sugar, salt and nuts.
- Add butter in small pieces. Rub in
with fingers until mixture is crumbly. Be careful not to over-mix.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- All ingredients should be at room temperature.
- In bowl mix together flours, baking soda and baking powder.
- In another bowl cream together butter with sugar until fluffy and light.
egg and vanilla extract and mix well.
- Add half of dry ingredients, mixing just until flour is blended.
- Blend in sour
cream, then remaining dry ingredients.
- Spread half of batter into a greased and floured 10-inch tube pan.
- Sprinkle with half of Topping and spread with remaining batter, then with remaining
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let sit to cool slightly.
from pan onto serving platter and cool completely.
Posted by bettyboop50 at Recipe Goldmine May 9, 2001
Source: L.A. Times Food section