Raspberry Filled Coffee Cake Heart
Celebrate Mother's Day or Valentine's Day with this sweet pink treat!
- 1 envelope Fleischmann's® Active Dry Yeast
- 1 cup warm water (100 degrees to 110 degrees F)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon peel
- 3-1/4 to 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup nonfat dry milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon Argo® Corn Starch
- 1 cup fresh OR frozen raspberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon peel
- 1/2 cup raspberries, crushed through a sieve to remove seeds
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Combine yeast and warm water in a large bowl and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add sugar, egg and lemon peel; mix well.
- Add 1 cup all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour and dry milk and beat well.
- Mix in salt and butter.
- Gradually stir in remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 6 to 8
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to coat. Cover and let rise in a warm,
draft-free place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Mix filling ingredients together in saucepan and cook over medium heat,
stirring constantly until thickened. Cool.
- Punch down dough and roll out into a large rectangle, about 30 x 8-inches.
Spoon filling down center of dough, about 2-1/2-inches wide. Cut 1-inch wide
strips on each side of the dough (up to the filling) using a sharp knife. Fold
side strips alternately over filling to form a “braid”. Form dough braid in
a heart shape OR a circle on a large greased baking sheet.
- Let rise until doubled, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 30 minutes, until golden brown.
- Cool for at least 30 minutes.
- Combine glaze ingredients and drizzle over coffee cake.
Yield 12 servings | Prep Time 40 min
Rise Time 1 1/2 hr | Bake Time 30 min
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission): Fleischmann's Yeast